Here is a list of healthy diet guidelines which roots are grounded in the principles of common sense. If you follow these, you will lose weight, stay fit and healthy, and never gain your weight back once you lose it:
1. Never eat until you are full. Only eat until you are satisfied. Remember that there will always be another meal. Why do you need to stuff yourself now, as if this is the last meal you will ever eat?
2. Drink at least 10 full cups of water every day.
3. Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
4. Men should consume 38 grams and women should consume 25 grams of fiber every day.
5. Do not eat inside the last 3 hours before you go to bed at night.
6. Get a full night's sleep every night.
7. Do some kind of activity every day for at least 30 minutes, even if it is as basic as walking.
If you follow these basic guidelines, you can eat almost anything you want without having to restrict yourself or count calories, carbs, fat, or anything. You will maintain a healthy weight for life.
Do not even think for a moment that you can expect to follow some fad diet, lose a lot of weight quickly, and expect to go back to your normal eating habits, and expect to keep the weight off. Statistically speaking, more than half of all people who follow some sort of a fad diet gain all or more of the weight lost during the diet back within the next 12 months. That is a sad statistic. If only more people would adopt these healthy diet guidelines to begin with, they would not gain the weight back, let alone gain the weight in the first place!